Thursday 8 October 2009

The Devil's Chair


Hey Guys and Gals...

Seeing as everyone has mentioned the fact that they miss my film and book reviews since the website was updated I thought it would be a good idea to enter the world of blogging.

For the most part I'll only use this venue for reviews, maybe the odd interview and now and then to impart details of projects I am involved in.

To get the ball rolling I thought I'd review the following...


The Devil's Chair

Directed: Adam Mason

Starring: Andrew Howard, Elize Du Toit and Matt Berry


I was first introduced to Adam Mason's work when I watched BROKEN... a film that many reviewers found too harsh. I, on the other hand, saw something there, a promise if you will.

And it seems that the feeling in my water was right on the money and THE DEVIL'S CHAIR goes to prove it.

The synopsis for this one, when first heard, will remind you of a dozen other horror films... don't be put off by the group of people stuck in an old insane asylum... stick with it and you won't be disappointed.

Mason and his co-writer, Simon Boyes have managed to breathe new life into a tired storyline. I mean, I'm one jaded horror fan and this one just worked so well for me. 

THE DEVIL'S CHAIR cleverly takes you by the hand and leads you down a path you think is familiar yet, at the same time, is slightly off. It does this by using the lead characters inner thoughts (done in a voice over style) to give the entire story a secondary element that would be missing otherwise.

This voice over almost points accusingly at what is taking place on the screen, takes the piss out of its own origins with a sly nod and wink... It knows that it walks the thin line of cliche and embraces the fact with gutso...

I won't give anything away here, but this voice over is there for a reason, a fucking good one... its there to make the twist... to pull the rug from under your feet and make you realise that modern horror treats its audience as a joke.

As I listened to that final voice over I wanted to fly to LA and pat Mason on the back, buy him a drink and get to know the guy.

Mason's next venture is BLOOD RIVER and, I for one, can't wait.

PS: I don't usually go for extra features but the making of on this one is worth the price of the DVD alone. It is probably the most insightful and honest making of I have watched in a long time.


No comments:

Post a Comment