Saturday 13 November 2010

NANA'S TEETH

Just before Christmas a few years ago my wife's Nana died. She had suffered a massive stroke and spent two weeks in a hospital bed before she finally gave up her hold on life.

She was 88 years old and one of the most amazing women I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. It was a constant in joke that she was my 'other women'.

Yesterday we visited the house she had spent all her life in so we could help with the job of emptying it. My wife took a few photographs etc... to remember the great old lady by.

Whilst emptying a kitchen unit my wife screamed and I (the ever shining knight in armour) ran to her assistance.

'What's wrong?' I asked.

'It's Nana's teeth," she wailed.

And she was right. Sat in a jar, on a shelf was a set of dentures in water. I burst out laughing.

Now, being the horror writer I am I asked permission to keep the teeth as a momento. Afterall they would look good on my office shelf. Everyone involved, knowing what I'm like, agreed that Nana would love to be remembered in any way.

Upon arrival back home I called my young son into the kitchen. He came running with a smile on his face.

'Hold out you hand and close your eyes,' I said and, trusting son he is, he did so.

I lay the teeth in his palm and told him to open his eyes. He looked at the object in his palm and frowned.

'What is that?' he asked.

'It's Nana's teeth,' I replied.

Well, he screamed and threw the teeth that, hit the tiled floor and broke in half. Without pause his little sister pushed passed him and picked up the two halves.

'Why'd you do that?' she asked. 'I'd have worn them for Halloween.'

Everyone laughed and I can't help but think it's amazing that Nana can still help us smile even though she has moved on.

We love you Nana...Bessie Martin 12/07/1919 to 13/12/07

No comments:

Post a Comment